We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature--trees, flowers, grass--grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...We need silence to be able to touch souls. --Mother Teresa

Friday, September 3, 2010

Brownie Bites

This is the post that almost wasn't.  I hate to complain....but I am COMPLAINING.  Blogger and I just can't keep on this way.  We took a break like a couple of middle schoolers 'dating' but I think I am going to have to go all the way and break up.  Once again, I was forced to curse and pound the table when trying to upload photos.  Really, Blogger? 

Alas, I was able to pull myself together and I have a little recipe to share with you. 

My son found this recipe years ago in a magazine that he was reading while he was, um, well attending to his business.  It's a gene pool issue.  Anyway, he was probably 7 or so and he thought these would be easy and fun.  And he was right, for the most part. 

You need 1 brownie mix and a bag of hugs.  Mix the brownies according to the directions. 


Then you fill mini muffin cups with brownies.  I line mine with mini paper cups I buy at this really awesome kitchen store we have here in town.  You can spray the mini muffin tins with baking spray but......the brownie bites must sit until they are completely cool before removing them from the pan.  I have tried removing them before they are cool and the hug sets up and well, I am telling you that it isn't pretty.  My people will still eat them, but they cannot be taken anywhere for the public to enjoy. 

Bake the brownie bites at 350 for around 12 minutes.  The actual recipe says 16-22 minutes--which is wwwaaaayyyyy too long.  Try hockey puck long. 

And yes, I have 2 mini muffin pans.  I don't particularly care for the red silicone one.  I just HAD to have it and really, I don't like it. 

I do under bake my brownies just a bit.  We like them with that slight under bake.  After you remove the brownies from the oven, place a hug on the top of the brownie bite.  And you are done. 


A couple of tips......these are best baked a day ahead of when you want to serve them.  They don't come out of the paper muffins cups really 'clean' the first day.  And they kind of set up.  They are just better the second day.  I intended to make them last night for a function tonight, but I was simply too tired after dinner last night to do anything but watch Project Runway.  Highly addictive stupid show that I can't stop watching once I start--bad car wreck kind of thing--I shouldn't watch but I can't stop myself. 

I took this one out of the muffin tin kind of warm so I could take a picture of it for you.  You can kind of see that it kind of flattens out the hug and make it look a little like a....well.....um....a body part that shouldn't be seen, pierced or tattooed.  Think Janet Jackson at the Superbowl.


I have used differently flavors of kisses--mint, caramel filled, peanut butter, blah blah blah.  Hugs make the prettiest brownie bites and actually, I think they taste the best. 

Just leave them in the muffin tin until they are completely cool to save yourself from immature comments from the peanut gallery.  Just sayin'.

2 comments:

Mrs. E said...

Yum!! And you can't break up with blogging forever! I'm just sayin'!!

Kim said...

They look good to me. They'll have to go in my "try it" pile.


Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel. -Proverbs 11: 17