We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature--trees, flowers, grass--grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...We need silence to be able to touch souls. --Mother Teresa

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Lollipop Moments

Take 6 minutes and watch this video.....I promise it's not going to sell you any weight loss products, windows or siding.

Just watch.



Something to think about.  Who's that person for you?  And have you taken the time to let them know what they did for you?

One of mine is a good friend who made a comment to me when our kids were very young.  She said, "If you let them do it at home, they'll think they can do it in public."  It was a defining moment in my parenting.  She wasn't criticizing, she wasn't judging, she was simply commenting.  I never forgot those words.  Those words made me a better parent.  I mean, within reason--I still sucked at it most of the time and made terrible decisions--but hey, we all are still alive and we know how to behave in public.

I haven't thanked her, yet.

Another of my lollipop moments came from a close friend of mine.  She told me that she had never believed in herself until she taught with me.  And I believed in her.  I showed her how smart she was.  I stood beside her and I believed in her.  Seriously.  All I did was show up every day and try not to cry because the kids we were teaching were so incredibly awesome--and poor--that sometimes it was too scary to think about sending them home.

Why is it my lollipop moment?  Because her telling me that it was me that made a difference to her made me realize that things don't have to be 'special moments' to make a difference. Every moment can make a difference.  We just never know when we are giving someone something that they take away and use for a lifetime.

Go make a difference.  Just sayin'.



 

 



1 comment:

Mrs. E said...

Great video! Thank you so much for sharing.


Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel. -Proverbs 11: 17