We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature--trees, flowers, grass--grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...We need silence to be able to touch souls. --Mother Teresa

Monday, August 2, 2010

The Gift of an Ordinary Day

The gift of an ordinary day. 

Ordinary is defined as.....plain or undistinguished.....customary; usual; normal....of no special quality or interest; commonplace; unexceptional.  


I like ordinary.  

I wonder if people who have suffered trauma or tragedy or loss would tell that it was the ordinary moments that were missed the most.  The slamming of the bedroom door.  The smell of stinky feet.  The what's for dinner and where's my bag moments.  The unexpected burps and the tears of disappointment.  Moments that aren't captured on film or in a scrapbook.  Moments that are captured in a mind's memory. 


I believe that ordinary is what we are missing as a society.  The playing outside until dark and then playing some more.  The neighborhood football games in the street.  The bike ramp built by boys who weren't afraid of anything--except moms and maybe, sisters.  The riding bikes to Grandma's just to visit.  The getting to the pool when it opened and leaving just in time to beat Mom home from work.  The bike riding to the library to get a book.   The sitting on the porch eating watermelon and ice cream with friends.  The quiet time while Mom watches her 'story'.  The continuous never ending summer baseball game down at the school yard. 

The things that aren't 'festivals' as I have come to deem them.  We are missing the ordinary, everyday part of life.  We are running as fast as we can to the next 'festival' without enjoying the ordinary moments.  

I hope my kids would say that they can remember ordinary moments.  They play this crazy game we call...remember that one time....and then some crazy tale is told.  I hope that I have enjoyed my children were they were 'at' in life.  I hope that I have remembered not to wish away that time knowing that it's fleeting and it's on to the next part of life.  It's harder than it looks.  Being ordinary.
   
Take some time to enjoy the ordinary.  Be ordinary.  Just sayin'.

4 comments:

vickisherbert said...

Amen.

Mrs. E said...

This is absolutely wonderful---and so true!

Kim said...

Love this! I totally agree with you. And I truly have enjoyed every single phase of my children's lives. Wishing you an ordinary day with extraordinary memories!

Kerri said...

Thanks I needed that today! Oh I so try, but sometimes life gets in the way!


Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel. -Proverbs 11: 17