We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature--trees, flowers, grass--grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...We need silence to be able to touch souls. --Mother Teresa

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Ladies Function

Wednesday night was my turn to host my bunco group....or my Ladies Function.  Our group began meeting in October 2000 and have met every month since then on the third Wednesday.  We have had one time that was canceled due to a death in the hostess' family, but other than that we have met to eat, laugh and play a lil' bunco.

11 of us are original members.  Pretty amazing, huh?  We are from all walks of life and at different stages of children, grandchildren, houses, cars and aging parents. 

I was pretty excited to host because it meant I could use these:


My snack sets!!  I bought 2 sets of them about 18 months ago at an estate sale.  I think I must be an old soul.....I real affinity for old fashioned traditions.  These snack sets remind me of going to Ladies' Functions with my great grandma at church and then with my grandma to Ladies' Functions. 


They are in the original box and in excellent shape.



I was short 4 sets.  My friend, Kyle, whose rockin' hot wife posts here.....and his super sister in law posts here......helped me out.   It seems as though one time he went to an auction being held by a church that was disbanding and he bought himself some snack sets.  Why?  Well, I guess nobody else was buying them, so he did.  I knew he had them and had once told me I could borrow them anytime.  When I called, he was out of town, so his lovely wife helped me out.


When she called him to ask him where he was keeping them, he told her that I could just keep them for my very own because he felt like it would repay my son for all his help with Kyle's blackberry/crackberry issues from a few months back.  I am not sure my son was as pleased with the snack set payment, but I was.

And as luck would have it, the set I borrowed and then got to keep, matches my snack sets.  I now have 12 matching snack sets.  It's the little things that keep me going.....


I had several plans in mind for my Ladies Function, but finally hit upon making a dessert bar.   I made pumpkin cake cupcakes and banana bar cupcakes.  Cream cheese frosting.  Enough said.



I really like the pumpkin ones, but I think that the banana ones were just OK.  Kind of dry, maybe over baked and certainly not as good as Kyle's wife makes as a cake.

I also made cut out sugar cookies, snickerdoodles and chocolate chip cookies.


I made brownies with frosting and decided that a bunch of ladies on a sugar high probably needed some balance so I had some lil' smokies in bbq sauce, cheese and crackers, veggies and grapes.  It was a decent spread.


My friend, Teresa, was generous enough to let me take a picture of her food on the snack set.....


Bonus for me, I was the big winner for most losses.  NOT a surprise to anyone who has been playing any game with me.  Just sayin'.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Your spread looks mighty tasty! I am impressed by all your variety and how pretty everything looked. I inherited snack sets from Randy's grandma. She had old newspapers separating each plate, so when I pull out the boxes, it's also fun to see the ads and stories on those old newspapers. (And, yes, I run them through the dishwasher before I use them!) Also, thanks for the shout-out on the blog, Kelli!

Lisa said...

You are so welcome to the snack trays and just so you know, we have about 10 more boxes down in Kyle's shop. I also have quite a few old tea towels from the Fact church sale. The trays always take me back to showers in the basement of the Byers United Methodist Church. A woman of a certain age has those moments.

Mrs. E said...

I love those snack trays too! (Grandma's church ladies luncheons when I was little, too!) And yum for your goodies!


Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel. -Proverbs 11: 17