We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature--trees, flowers, grass--grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...We need silence to be able to touch souls. --Mother Teresa

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Food on Friday on Sunday

This is for you, My Friend.  You will never know how much that request meant to me.  Thank you.

In the olden days of this blog, I would post some food thing on Fridays.  It was fun for me and since I really do enjoy making others feel good through food, it was amazing therapy for me.  I think maybe I need to see about being a cooking therapist.  You know, like a recreational therapist or music therapist, only for cooking and delivering it to people.

Last night, Mike and I were on our own for dinner.  Tempting to call Pizza Hut, right?  But no.  We'd been to church, stopped to visit with a friend and then headed to the store.  We decided that we would have Skillet Ham Casserole.  That's our name for it, although it does have an official name--'Joyce's Stovetop Ham Casserole'.  As usual, I have taken the original recipe and made adjustments to suit our family.  For example, the original recipe calls for swiss cheese.  My kids call swiss cheese 'butt cheese' because they are certain it tastes like butt tastes...say if you have ever tasted butt.  Don't ask me--they are their father's children.

The original also only calls for one can of cream soup, but I use two.  And I double the sour cream because it comes in a 16 oz. container and I am not measuring out 8 oz.  I  make this in my really big skillet.  One pan--very little work.

Skillet Ham Casserole

2 cups (or more) cubed ham
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
16 oz. sour cream
16 oz. package of spiral noodles
1/2 cup celery
1/2 cup onion--or as much as you want
2 cups of colby jack cheese--or butt cheese
1 stick of butter

I melted the butter and cook my ham.  I know it's already cooked but I like to 'sweat it' down.  It's so much better.  Anything cooked in butter is all good.  I then add my onions, celery and put the lid on the pan.

Cook the noodles to your preference of doneness.  We like ours a lot on the firm side.  

Once the noodles are done, drain them but don't rinse them.  Add the soups and sour cream to the ham mixture and stir.  Add the noodles.  Mix well--but gently.  Cover with the cheese, put the lid back on the pan and let it sit until cheese is melted.  

I served it with a vegetable, maybe a fruit salad and Texas toast. 

And of course, being Mom of the Year, I put some in the freezer for my favorite Student Teacher.  





Before you think I am playing favorites, Frick gets it as leftovers and Frack doesn't love this meal.  

Food on Friday on Sunday.  Just sayin'.  

2 comments:

Mary said...

Hmmmm...I've heard the term, "it tastes like butt" many times! :)
Thanks for sharing the yummy casserole recipe!

Bridgette said...

Yum!! Ham is now on my grocery list. Doesn't Texas toast really go with every meal? It does in my house! :-)


Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel. -Proverbs 11: 17