We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature--trees, flowers, grass--grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...We need silence to be able to touch souls. --Mother Teresa

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A Book Review in a Rant Sandwich



As someone who considers herself an avid reader, I am continuously amazed at how many people proudly wear the 'I am not a reader' badge.  When I found this quote by Mark Twain, it brought home what I had been thinking but couldn't put into words--if you can read and don't....well, the picture is there for you to make on your own.  

Read, people.  READ.  Read anything.  A newspaper, a magazine, find a book and just get started.  Take 15 minutes in your day, turn off all sound in the world and read.  

Recently, my book club read Bossypants by Tina Fey.  No glorious reviews from us will be forthcoming.  In fact, out of the 6, I was the only one who even remotely liked the book.  One person couldn't make herself finish, another read a few pages and promptly proclaimed, "What's the point?" and quit reading.  

I did laugh out loud in the beginning of the book but by the midway point, had tired of the book.  Repetitive, many details about 30 Rock (which I have NEVER, EVER watched) and it was almost like someone else had finished writing the book.  

Don't buy the book.  If your local library has a copy, I would recommend reading the chapter My Honeymoon, Or A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again Either.  Pretty darn funny time for Fey and her husband.  Or for Fey anyway.  Not sure her husband laughed until much later.  

Here's what I took away from the book:  Tina Fey is who she is because she had parents who were present.  Fey was what we called 'a-change-of-life-baby' because her mother was 40 when she was born.  Her brother was 8 years old when Fey was born.  Not unheard of in 2013, but in 1970 it was cause for whispers and head shaking.  All of that--and more--but ultimately, her parents were present.  Her dad was a force in her life because he was PRESENT.  

A lesson for us all.  Just sayin'.


3 comments:

Mrs. E said...

I haven't read that book, though I love Fey. I have always loved that Twain quote! Hope you change in teaching has been a good one. I know how much work that can be. I've missed you on here. Think we can work out a blogsphere meet in 2012?? There are several of you from Clay or with Clay connections. Maybe this summer!

Mrs. E said...

Well, let's make that you a your and 2012--- 2013. Duh!

Kim said...

I love your new blog header photo! Congratulations! I, too, love to read. Even if I have no other time during the day, I always read at night. Randy would tell you that he sometimes has to pluck the book from my fingers after I've fallen asleep, and sometimes he'll get the whole, "I'm not sleeping" reaction. (Yeah, I probably was.) Reading keeps me sane (or as sane as I can be). Happy New Year! And I'm with Mrs. E. I'm up for a trip to Clay Center.


Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel. -Proverbs 11: 17