We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature--trees, flowers, grass--grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...We need silence to be able to touch souls. --Mother Teresa

Monday, April 27, 2009

Surgery Update--Part 1

Phone rings at 10:00--it's the surgery center. Um....bad feeling start here...

....this is Cayla and would it be possible to reschedule Frack's surgery for a little later?

A little later today?

....well no.

Tomorrow?

...well no. Possibly next Monday. Well, um, no it looks full next Monday. Maybe the next week?

Hmm.

....otherwise it's going to be too late in the day for the Dr. to perform the surgery. There's been an emergency that has taken up his time and it looks like a colleague could do Frack's surgery. Wait let me talk to Dr. about that and see what he says. So would it be OK if some other Dr. did the surgery?

Wait. Let me get this straight. Repeat above conversation to her.

...Yes.

This seems crazy.
(I realize she is the messenger....and shooting her is my only option.)
So I begin shooting NOW.
So what you are saying is that we can have an unknown Dr. we haven't ever seen in our life do the surgery or we can wait up to 2 weeks for our Dr. ? We have made all the arrangements to have the time off now...not to mention the fact that Frack could have gone to school, me to school (do you know how much time it takes to get ready for me to have a sub?) and Big Guy to work today. This prolongs the pain 2 more weeks, puts us almost to the end of school, puts recovery into summer and us in limbo yet again.

...so you want the unknown Dr. to perform the surgery?

And you want me to decide right now? In like this very minute? This is too rushed.

....we can give you 30 minutes.

I will take that 30 minutes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Long story...short version....

4 phone calls from the surgery center and hospital later.....in literally 30 minutes.....our Dr. could do the surgery at the main hospital around 3:30 or 4:00. He simply didn't have a slot at the surgery center to do the surgery when he could get there. Which is what time the surgery would be with the unknown Dr. at the surgery center anyway. I could even hear our Dr. in the background telling them to tell us to come to the main hospital.....It seems as though his assistant panicked and called us before she really had all the information/options available.

Here is my question for all those out there in doctorland......is there not a doctor who is on call just to perform emergency surgeries? Seems like the emergency is who should take what they can get vs. scheduled surgeries. Of course, it is easy for me to say that since my child was a scheduled surgery. I would probably be on the other side of the fence if my child was the emergency. I'd want our doctor no matter what.

Spoiled you say? Yep.

Oh, and Frack hasn't had anything to eat or drink since midnight...but the nurse was kind enough to call the anaesthesiologist to find out if she could have some water...and she could have 8 ounces by 11:00. Which she did.

Grouchy you say? Yep. Teenager with an empty stomach=GROUCHY PANTS!

Can't say I blame her. 42 year old with an empty stomach=DOUBLE GROUCHY PANTS.

Just sayin.'

Will post after surgery.........

1 comment:

vickisherbert said...

I'm so glad it's over! What an ordeal! I just finished chatting with Lex, so now I feel better!


Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel. -Proverbs 11: 17