We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature--trees, flowers, grass--grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...We need silence to be able to touch souls. --Mother Teresa

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Hodgepodge




1. What does it mean to have the 'holiday spirit'?
Just last night someone asked if I was ready for Christmas and I replied...Yep.  And then he said, "So your shopping is all done?"  Nope.  I have bought one thing and made another.  "Christmas happens whether there are gifts or not."  He was very puzzled by this statement.  The greatest gift cannot be bought.......
 
2. What sits atop your tree (s)? Why?
Stars.  Because.  I.  Said.  So.

3. When was the last time you gave yourself a pat on the back?
Tuesday when I didn't curse out loud.   Although I am sure it was written all over my face.   Third graders are quick like that...they know what I am thinking and just move away. 
 
4. Which of your senses is most sensitive this time of year?
My feeling senses.  As we get nearer to Christmas I become very aware of the children I am sending home who may have little or nothing to eat.  I am always concerned about the kids I am sending home to negative circumstances.  I hug them all on the way out and let them know that I will be very glad to see them 'next year'.  I think this is a really tough time of the year to be a hurting kid. 

5. What do you have too much of in your kitchen?
Me.  There's too much of me in the kitchen.

6. What do you do for meals on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? Big meal? Breakfast tradition? Open the cookie tins and have at it?
Before we ever had kids, we established that they would be at home on Christmas morning.  We are lucky because both our families live within a couple of hours of us.  We have been at home every Christmas morning for 20 years.  We would get up and open presents, have cinnamon rolls, sausage and juice.   And head out for KC.   My husband's uncle is a priest, so he says a family mass at the house, usually around 1 pm.   Our presents have always been brought by Santa and so they 'appeared' sometime after the kids went to bed.  We opened presents whenever the first person woke up.  We've opened them at 3 am and at 8 am.  Last year we changed up our tradition.  We had dinner and then opened presents.  This year we are planning to attend the Christmas Eve service at church, have dinner and open presents.  
 
7. What is the best thing about winter?
When it's over.
 
8. Insert your own random thought here--Whomever invented the stomach flu ought to be shot.  Just sayin'.

2 comments:

Joyce said...

I agree with you on the hurting kids, particularly at Christmas. It is hard to think about.

Love your answer to #1...tis true!

Jill said...

Your answers gave me a big smile. And I really like your random thought. I agree, and I'll furnish the ammo. Just sayin'. : )

Merry Christmas!


Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel. -Proverbs 11: 17