We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature--trees, flowers, grass--grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...We need silence to be able to touch souls. --Mother Teresa

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Way Back Wednesday

Um. Yeah. This song...well it doesn' t mean what I thought it meant in the 70's. And yes, My MOM let me listen to it. I had no idea.....



....until I was like 25. rEEally.

Flashback...to the early 90's.....I know it's not a pretty mental picture for anyone..but do it anyway.....

My husband and I are driving down the interstate in a really hip car--a very cool Pontiac T1000...are you jealous? Maybe you had one. This car was so cool all the really fantastically hip people had one. It was such a remarkable car that I don't even have a picture of it. Praise God. And they took it on a trade. Praise God.

Anyway...back to the story behind the video....the song comes on the radio as we are driving. I begin singing and singing. I know all the words.

My husband looks at me and says, "What?"

"Ooohhh. I love this song. It was one of my favorite songs when I was a little girl!"

Husband: "Um. Um. Do you know what this song is about?"

"Hmm. Nope. What?" I was fairly naive. I only thought I was worldly.

Husband: "Listen to it."

"Oh. OHOHOHOHO. Hm. I never realized. I didn't know. WOW."

Husband: "And your mom let you listen?"

"Seems as though she did. And my brother,too. I didn't know. Wonder if she did?" Now, really. I am sure my mom knew what this song is all about--but one thing I have discovered about my mom is that she is very sly. Ban a child from doing something...what's the first thing they do....the banned thing. Works that way with adults, too, I think.

Husband: "My mom turned off the radio if this song came on. And we were NOT allowed to listen to it. Of course, we all wondered why we couldn't listen, so we were always trying to listen and figure out what the big deal was."

"WOW."

My own children listened about twice and remarked, "THIS was your favorite song?! Have you listened to the words to this song? Do you know what it's about?"

Yep. I do.

And I am just going to keep on enjoying it. Just sayin'.

No comments:


Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel. -Proverbs 11: 17