We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature--trees, flowers, grass--grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...We need silence to be able to touch souls. --Mother Teresa

Friday, July 3, 2009

Food on Friday

Yep.
Today is the day. I am sharing my top secret chocolate chip cookie recipe.

Are you excited?
This recipe is so top secret you can find the original recipe here.

Yeah. Really it's not a secret recipe. I have some tricks that I use (an oven from 1954) and some alterations to the the original recipe--but it is not secret.

Because I have no secrets. Just ask my husband.


Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies
By Mother Hays
1 1/2 cups of butter flavor Crisco (use those handy dandy sticks)
2 1/2 cups of firmly packed brown sugar
4 tbsp. of EVAPORATED milk--no lie this is one of the "tricks"
2 tbsp. real live vanilla--mexican is the best--but the "trick" is real live vanilla--no fake stuff
2 large eggs
3 1/2 cups of flour--add a cup at a time--be patient
2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. of baking soda
2 bags of chocolate chips--one bag of regular chips & one bag of mini chips.


Heat oven to 350. Beat shortening, sugar, eggs, EVAPORATED milk, vanilla, salt and soda until light and fluffy. I mean it. Be patient and let it mixmixmix. Then add flour one cup at a time. Be patient and let it mixmixmix. Add chocolate chips and stir by hand.


Drop on ungreased cookie sheet. My cookie sheets can hold 15 cookies comfortably.


HERE IS ANOTHER IMPORTANT TIP: If your oven is from 1954....then bake for 9 minutes and remove from oven. Let stand on cookies sheet 2 minutes before removing the cookies to a foil covered paper towel. IF and I realize this is a big IF-- your oven is not from 1954....then watch cookies closely to discover how long your oven will need to bake them to the perfect "doneness"--which really isn't done at all--they are kind of jiggly when I remove them from the oven--it's the 2 minutes that they sit that lets them become the perfect cookie. The recipe says 8-10 minutes. Adjust accordingly to your oven. These modern day ovens can be tricky. Watch yourself.


The recipe will make around 100 cookies....although, it seems as mine usually makes around 90 because I have some dough testers. Which is totally against the law at our house. Raw eggs can carry salmonella--and dough should not be eaten without being baked--it sucks to be married to a microbiologist. We can have no fun. Yesterday I caught an unnamed youngest member of my family with a fork full of cookie dough. When confronted the culprit responded...."My hands were dirty I was forced to use a fork." Geez.

I have 2 cookie sheets and I can usually knock out a batch in around 60 minutes. During the school year, I make cookies on Sunday afternoon--EVERY Sunday afternoon--and in the summer, I make cookies on Thursday afternoons.


And my butt isn't getting any smaller for a reason. Just sayin'.

6 comments:

YourFavoriteLane said...

So my household hasn't received any cookies in awhile. We are going through withdrawls.

Anonymous said...

I thought you had some in the freezer. Am I wrong?

The Rankins said...

So I woke up yesterday morning, saw this post, and started making cookies before even making breakfast (so you can imagine what I ate for breakfast). I had everything but the evaporated milk, but I use powdered milk in a lot and turned that into evaporated milk. They turned out great and so far that is what Brian and I have eaten for breakfast again this morning...

Hays Family 5 said...

Good girl. I am proud of you.

Kerri said...

Thanks for the recipe. Made them for the 4th of July party!

Carpenter's said...

I really enjoy learning about family traditions such as cookies every sunday during the school year. I might have to incorporate that in my famiy traditions. Thanks for the recipe! :) Yummy...


Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel. -Proverbs 11: 17