We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature--trees, flowers, grass--grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...We need silence to be able to touch souls. --Mother Teresa

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

rEEally.

me: REALLY.

3rd grade girl (3GG): Um.

me: Are you kidding me?

3GG: Well, no.

me: I'd like to visit with you in the hall.

So I get the rest started on whatever I can pull out of my special teacher storage place...(also known as my butt for those of you not in the teaching profession).... and casually walk out to the hall. 3GG is squatted down like a frog. And so I squat in much the same manner only I am 42, 5'11 and weigh, well enough to know better.

me: Did you cut your hair?

3GG: Well, yes.

me: Why?

3GG: Well. I've always wanted to see how I looked with shorter hair.

me: Really.

3GG: (she's silent. she's got nothing.)

me: Are you trained...to cut hair?

3GG: Well, no. I'm a third grader.

me: Exactly. Third graders do not cut their own hair. You may cut hair when you have been trained to cut hair.

3GG: OK. But I really do wonder what I would look like with shorter hair.

I thought I was gonna bust a gut wide open. I had another adult in the room at the time and we made no eye contact whatsoever because we would have laughed OUT LOUD. This little girl was very matter of fact and nonchalant about the whole deal.

Her mother? Not so much.

But I bet she doesn't cut hair again until she is trained to cut hair. And I won't be squatting like a frog again anytime soon. Just sayin'.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Well Kelli......she's got to start somewhere! I have a picture that my mom took of ME cutting my dads hair......when I was 5 w/ toenail scissors and comb in hand. He let me do this willing knowing it could turn fatal! And it was awesome. Who would have known it was just the beginning of my life long career!

kelly said...

OOOOHHHHH!!!! MY GOSH!!!! GLAD THAT WASN'T MY 3GG!!


Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel. -Proverbs 11: 17