We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature--trees, flowers, grass--grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...We need silence to be able to touch souls. --Mother Teresa

Sunday, December 14, 2008

A Gift

My husband and the twins went with the youth group from church to the Chiefs game. BRR!! It was very cold and I worried that they weren't dressed warm enough. BUT....it gave me a whole day to myself!!!!!! What a gift!!!! I started my day reading newspapers, drinking coffee and eating waffles. After making a list of things I needed, I ran some errands and got a hot chocolate from the convenience store-that was a treat. So here is what I did today....
--Cleaned the kitchen sink and bought a new dish drainer. Someone should have mentioned that mine was totally gross...oh the dish drainer would have to be empty for someone to notice it was gross. (Yep, we don't have a dish washer!)
--All the laundry. Every stitch--washeddriedfolded--it is a fantastic feeling. Too bad it won't last..........
--Cleaned my bedroom. Aah, what a feeling!
--Deep cleaned the bathroom. Cabinets, drawers, shower, ALL OF IT! We have 12 toothbrushes for 4 people .....seems like a lot, don't you think? And we have 5 bottles of lotion....my people think that when the lotion stops pumping out, you simply open a new one and shove the old to the back. We had 10 deodorants. Don't ask me.
--Wrapped presents.
--Made homemade lotion. This was great....it is the baby lotion, vitamin e cream and Vaseline recipe. I used the shea and cocoa butter baby lotion and it smells wonderful. And my hands feel great.
--Did I mention I did ALL the laundry? Oh, maybe I did........
--Dusted and vacuumed the living room and dining room. This was the least fun of the day.....I hate to dust. I have resolved not to buy anything that has to be dusted.
--Mopped the kitchen floor. It must be done.....
--Waxed my unibrow. Really, not that bad, but close.
--Put up a new blind in the bathroom. Don't you find it easier to buy a new blind and simply throw the old, nasty, torn blind away? I do.
--Took only 2 phone calls. This is a miracle....my phone has a tendency to ring all the time. One call was from my mom and the other from my good friend, Vicki. It was wonderful to visit with them both. Both of these people are incredibly busy so I don't get to visit with them as much as I would like to so this was a special occasion for me.
--Planned the menus for the week. Basketball season makes this easier.....soup and grilled cheese or grilled cheese and soup....
--Ironed my clothes for the week...I do this every Sunday so that wasn't unusual.
--My doorbell rang around 4 and the little boy across the street (he is also in my class at school) was there with a cherry struesal(how do you spell that)bread--still warm from the oven. It was perfect timing...I was just sitting down to have hot peppermint tea and read one magazine. MMmmmm....it was wonderful.
--I even had time to make a batch of muddy buddies....


And bag it for the freshman girls basketball team. Aren't these bags the cutest thing ever? My kids hate it when I say things like that......




It has been a wonderful day....a true gift....it was OK for one day and I wouldn't want it everyday or even every week, once in a while is just fine. Once in a long while......because right now I am ready for my people to come on home.

No comments:


Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel. -Proverbs 11: 17