We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature--trees, flowers, grass--grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...We need silence to be able to touch souls. --Mother Teresa

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Ice Storm 2007

A year ago at this time, we were experiencing the experience of a lifetime. An ice storm that cut off our electricity for 4 days, no school for 4 days and freezer clean out....beanie weenies on the grill are something that I NEVER want to experience again. The above picture is from around midday after we had been standing in the yard in amazement of the beauty. As we looked west we saw two dogs that were loose and very familiar to us. Part of us headed out after the dogs and part of us went to retrieve our cell phones so we could call their owners. Within minutes an extremely large branch (above) fell! The dog retrievers were about a half a block away when they heard the crash and came running to see the damage....our basketball goal bit it. But no human damage was suffered.....we stayed inside from that point on.



This picture was taken around 7 a.m. looking north from our yard.



Looking south.....



This is looking at our house...

It was pretty memorable week. We did stay at the house all 3 nights and 4 days....with some trips to the store to wander around, to some friends to charge our cell phones and a restaurant or two in between. I didn't realize the impact this event had on my kids until about a month ago when my youngest proclaimed, "I hope I never have to live through an ice storm again!" I also was amazed at the impact it had on my school kids, many of whom would have been 7 at the time. A couple of weeks ago we were reading a selection about tornadoes and I sparked a discussion about natural disasters. Every kid had a story about the ice storm! Some had electricity and some didn't, some talked about being scared because of the falling branches and some talked about being cold and bored because of no school. But the one thing they all agreed on was it wasn't any fun! It was my first ice storm and I hope it will be my last...........

No comments:


Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel. -Proverbs 11: 17