We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature--trees, flowers, grass--grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...We need silence to be able to touch souls. --Mother Teresa

Friday, September 18, 2009

I Might Be One of These Someday....

I went with our high school band to the State Fair on Wednesday. There were some highlights....I was afraid I would oversleep so I woke up at 2:53 a.m. Some of you know this interesting piece of trivia and now all of you will know it...I don't use an alarm clock. I haven't for years. Really. I just wake up. If I need to be up at 5, I just wake up. Bizarre. If I don't need to wake up, then I sleep until I wake up. I very rarely oversleep. Probably because I worry about it so I wake up. So I was basically awake from 3 in the morning until 9ish on Wednesday night. Thursday was ok but today I could tell that I am not as young as I used to be.

Anyway....back to the highlights. We pull out of the parking lot at 5:20 and get about 25 miles south of town when a deer runs into the bus. Whap! I didn't know what had happened. I was driving a suburban loaded with percussion instruments. I was following 2 buses, a van and there was a second suburban behind me. All I knew was that we were pulling over....and I began to pray that the sick kid who was getting off the bus wasn't related to me. Nope...the bus driver gets off. He looks at the front end. The suburban behind me was the AD, so he gets out and sprints to see what is going on. I stayed put. Like I was going to be of any assistance. It was cold and dark. AD looks at bus...I think well maybe we a have flat tire. AD comes running by my vehicle, bus driver gets back on bus and off we go. Later I found out what had happened.

Another highlight...pronto pups. These are a State Fair staple. These are giant hand dipped corn dogs. And they rock. I love them. A little mustard to go with and oof...it's all about good. I had 2.

Best highlight...my mom took the day off and saw her really awesome grandkids in the band and then spent the day at the Fair with me. She likes me best. She likes me best. We had a very enjoyable day. We saw some gorgeous quilts. When we grow up that's how we're going to spend our time. Making quilts.

But the bestbestbest part of the day was this:

It was Red Hat Society Day at the Fair. And let me tell you there were a lot of Red Hat ladies at the Fair. And they were having a GREAT time. We just happened to be in the right place at the right time....they paraded through the fairgrounds laughing and smiling and totally enjoying the time. It was a pretty amazing sight.


All shapes and sizes. All kinds of hats, shoes and clothes. We saw tennis shoes, moccasins and some crazy ladies with red high heels. All smiling and enjoying the day.


Isn't life grand?


I didn't know a single one of these ladies. They just waved and smiled and clapped.


One of these days, I might join these ladies. Just sayin'.

No comments:


Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel. -Proverbs 11: 17