We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature--trees, flowers, grass--grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...We need silence to be able to touch souls. --Mother Teresa

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Where Were You?

Think. Back. Think. Back.

Where were you?

I was pulling my hot red van into the Green School parking lot....late of course....if I had been on time I would have missed the radio news describing the bombing. As I went inside the building, others had heard the news and we all just looked at each other. We went thru the day not knowing much because the district had ordered us to keep all TVs and radio's off while the students were in the building. Like we had TV at Green School. At 3:30 I immediately left for home. I really wanted to see my kids....Frick and Frack were in 2nd grade and College Girl was in 6th grade.

That night at home, we ate in front of the TV. We NEVER did that on a week night. Our kids knew it was serious....and we wanted them to remember.

It seems like yesterday.

And yet, for many others, it is the here and now. It will never be any other day but that one day.

Pray for....well, everything. And everyone.

Because none of us have been the same since that day.

Just sayin'.

1 comment:

The Rankins said...

It was my first semester at college. I got ready for classes just like every other day and as I walked through the dorm lobby there was a sign saying classes were cancelled for the day. At this point I had no idea what was going on. I asked a gal at the front desk about it and she told me. I went back upstairs to turn on the news and there was an email from my Current Political Issues teacher, Shala Bannister, (what a great class to have during all of this!) and she said if we wanted to come in we could. I did. I remember walking in and some of my classmates were already there...others came in later. We all sat in silence watching it through the projector and my professor sat at the front and cried. She brought in a lot of quest speakers that semester to speak with us about the incident, their motives and culture. I think she basically threw her curriculum out the window that semester!


Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel. -Proverbs 11: 17