We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature--trees, flowers, grass--grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...We need silence to be able to touch souls. --Mother Teresa

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Random Dozen






1. Which physical trait do you now accept--maybe not love, but accept--and no longer feel extremely self-conscious about?

My grandmother got in the big butt line vs. the big boob line.  I am ok with that gene pool issue.  In fact, I am glad that's the line I got.

2. This week Meredith Baxter Birney, best known as the mom on the favorite 80s sitcom "Family Ties" came out of the closet, which led me to formulate this question: Who do you think is/was the best TV mom?

Claire Huxtable.  She rocked.

3. Do you speak any foreign languages? Are there any you'd like to learn?

I must speak a foreign language that teenagers don't understand.  Pick up your clothes, put away your shoes, and why is this book bag in my kitchen are all met with blank stares.  Therefore, it must be a foreign language.

4. Who is your personal hero?

 I prefer to call them 'cheerleaders'.  People who love me and cheer me on--NO MATTER WHAT.  And I want to be like them when I grow up.  My mom.  Enough said with the phrase....My Mom.  Coach.  Who grounds me--literally and figuratively.  My children.  Who keep me insane and loving life.  I want to be like them when I grow up.   My second grade teacher.  She was amazing in her love of us.  Several of my cheerleaders have gone to heaven and are cheering me on from there.  My grandmother is one of those cheerleaders and I miss her everyday.  My mentor whether she wanted to be or not, Pat.  She and her husband taught me some amazing life lessons.  Whenever I have to make a teacher decision, I ask myself, What would Pat do?  Everybody should have a pep squad of their very own.  No lie.



5. What is one holiday food that you find extremely difficult to resist over- indulging in?

Food. Just food.  

6. Tell me about a Christmas decoration that has special meaning or sentimental value.

It's interesting because as much as I love Christmas that I don't have a special ornament or decoration that I have an unusual attachment toI have several that I have a special memory attached to--like the small snow globe that a 6th grade girl gave me in 1998 who now goes to med school and is the same girl who puked spaghetti and peaches all over the bathroom when we were custudionless so guess who cleaned it up and the ornament from the 'What if...' brothers and the special purple glitter covered snowflake from the 3rd grade boy who loved a local university so much that he was constantly giving me crap because I love a better one on down the road.  

7. How do you feel about snow?

I lovelovelove snow.  I hate inside recess.  And that usually goes with snow.  So it's tough love that I have for snow.  

8. On average, how many hours of sleep do you get each night? Not that I'm jealous of any number over three or anything.

I get around a total of 7 hours.  NOT straight hours, mind you.  I'd like 10 straight hours.  And  every third grader in my class would love it if the teacher slept 7 straight hours, 10 would be even better.  But my mother would tell you that I am my Grandmother's child (see #1).  Not a bad deal, but...... 

9. Tell me about your first crush.

Gosh, really.  I can't remember that far back.  That's a lie, but to protect the innocent I shall lie.

10. You're stuck in a room for 2 hours with only a chalkboard and chalk. What will you write/draw?

My to-do list when I get out of that room.  I love lists.

11. Do you dress for the current temp or for the day's forecast?

Forecast.  I am a weather channel addict.  Can you say Old People's MTV?  I actually dress for outside recess.  Have you noticed a pattern?  I am all about recess.

12. Favorite Christmas movie is?

Charlie Brown Christmas hands down, the greatest movie ever made.  Closely followed by A Christmas Story.  You'll shoot your eye out, kid.  Just sayin'.


http://www.blenza.com/linkies/links.php?owner=LindaC&postid=08Dec2009&meme= 
(ok...so I don't get how to make this a cute little widget for Mr. Linky.  But this will link you up so you can participate in this meme started by Linda at 2nd cup of coffee--which I love reading by the way--and maybe you will, too!)

1 comment:

Mrs. E said...

Love your idea of a cheer squad cheering us on. That is so true! And Clair Huxtable--hands down the best: funny, classy, and loving! It doesn't get better than that.


Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel. -Proverbs 11: 17