We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature--trees, flowers, grass--grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...We need silence to be able to touch souls. --Mother Teresa

Friday, January 22, 2010

Food on Friday

I know.  It's a small miracle.  They do happen every day.  Today is your day.  I actually have something for Food on Friday and I had the time to put it together for your viewing and eating pleasure.  

This is not my specialty.  It is this girls.....
 


Chocolate Zucchini Cake
3/4 cup of vegetable oil
2 cups of sugar
3 eggs
2 cups of coarse or grated zucchini
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 cups of flour
1/2 cup of cocoa
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp.  soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix together salad oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla; beat well.  Add zucchini.  Stir in dry ingredients and milk.  Bake in a well greased and floured tube or bundt cake pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 or 50 minutes.  Turn out and cool on rack.  Glaze with powdered sugar icing.




We had soooooooooo much zucchini this past summer that we (as in College Girl) grated it and put it in baggies for the freezer.  It has been a wonderful treat for the winter.  This usually a summer cake for our family.  It is exceptionally good with homemade ice cream. 

She really does make this cake better than me and I proved it last weekend.  Mine looks better:


 
Gorgeous, don't you think?  But hers tastes better.  In my defense, I was out of powdered cocoa and subbed in unsweetened chocolate squares that have to be melted.  The texture was much different.  It tasted OK, but nowhere as good as hers.  She has the magic touch. 




And that does my heart good....just sayin'. 

1 comment:

Mrs. E said...

Yum! Thanks for the recipe. I love Zuchs! For some reason we have trouble growing them. Can you belive it? No one has trouble with them producing, but us!

Drop by Easy Street this morning. There is a little something for you. I thought it was right up your alley!


Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel. -Proverbs 11: 17