We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature--trees, flowers, grass--grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...We need silence to be able to touch souls. --Mother Teresa

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Random Dozen

 



1. On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being a cranky-baby-hissy-fitter, how much of a complainer are you?

Probably a 5.  I comment a lot and I didn't think that was a form of complaining.  I have since been told that it's really complaining.  

2. When someone else is talking, do you listen, or are you thinking about what you're going to say in response?

I think I do both to my husband.  When listening to people who aren't related to me, I think I listen.

3. I just deleted 1062 messages from my email account. Do you have any plans for a clean sweep this month--of anything?

Not really.  I would like to clean sweep my teenage sons room.  I am going need a biohazard suit to complete the job.  Time is kind of short this month so maybe I will tackle this project in March.

....(And now, here are some brilliant questions from a gal named Angie at Angie's Ad Lib who graciously offered to let me borrow her brain. Please go over and see Angie because it was so nice of her to help me out. Thank you so much, Angie!)

4. Tell us about your perfume. Was it a gift? What does it remind you of? Do you have a signature scent?

It's Dove soap.  It reminds me of clean.  

5. What is your best organizing tip for the new year?

When in doubt, pitch it out.

6. What is your favorite comic strip?

Pickles.  

7. Do you sleep with a fluffy or flat pillow?

Fluffy.  Fluffy.  Fluffy.  I have 3 pillows.  2 on the bottom and one for on top of my head.

8. What color is your kitchen? Why did you choose that color?

My kitchen is purple.  On the red/plum side of purple.  

The reason?  My appliances are pink.  No, I am not kidding.  Proof:




And yes, those are my husband's offspring acting like ninjas.  And yes, I have grown to love these appliances.  When we first moved here, I really thought we would need some new ones.  My husband said, "When they break and the appliance guy cannot fix them, we can see about new ones."  He believes that we, as in Americans in general, are very wasteful.  We often get new 'things' just to get new.  Not because 'things' are broken and can't be fixed, but just because we want new ones.  We have lived here since August 2003, and the appliance guy has been here twice.  Once in March 2009 and once in May 2009.  Both times he fixed the oven.  It cost under $100 for both visits.  Now it's a contest to see how long we can make them last.  We are pretty sure they were put in the house in the late 1950'sSo that is why my kitchen is purple.  Can I just say I love my kitchen?
 


9. What’s the most interesting bumper sticker you’ve seen?

I am drawing a blank on this one.  

10. Do you prefer an expensive writing tool or whatever is lying around? (Are you a Montblanc or a Papermate?)

Um.  Yeah.  About this one.  I, uh, sort of have a writing utensil fetish.  I like a smooth, thick line.  My current favorite is a good old-fashioned blue Bic pen with the lid.  I like my utensils tall.  My current favorite pencil is a black Dixon Ticonderoga. They have a soft, smooth lead with a fantastic eraser.  And oooohhh, they just feel good in my hand.  I have been known to spend an inordinate amount of time and money in the writing utensil isle.  (and I bet I have thousands of writing utensils--really.)

11. What chore doesn’t feel like a chore – you just enjoy it (at least most of the time)?

Sweeping the breezeway/patio area.  I miss summer a lot. 

12. If your parents often repeated themselves, what is something one of them said more than once?

My mom had 4 things that she repeated often....
"Stop it, Scotty."  
"It'll be fine."
"If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all."  
and my personal favorite--this month anyaway--
"What comes around, goes around." 

 

2 comments:

Mrs. E said...

LOVE your kitchen! What a happy place! (I love that floor!) Do you think our writing utensil fetish has anything to do with the fact that we are teachers?? I hear you're out tomorrow! Glad these administrators are going with the better safe than sorry theory. Enjoy your day! (No inside recess!)

quilly said...

I love the color of your kitchen and the ninjas are kind of fun, too.

My hubby is an earth scientist. He would very much agree with and approve of your hubby's fix-it philosophy.


Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel. -Proverbs 11: 17